Developed as a team effort by The Lodge at Pico Bonito, USAID, and Honduras’ President, The Honduras Birding for Conservation Tour has been created to:
- Promote and celebrate Honduras’ wonderfully rich bird diversity, and avi-tourism potential.
- Provide a genuine benefit to Honduras’ bird life by supporting the most important bird conservation projects in Honduras.
- Bring together the world’s best tour leaders, Honduras’ best birding guides, and 5 groups of enthusiastic birders for an unprecedented and most of all -FUN!- birding event!
This is a relaxed-pace birding contest wherein 5 teams of 10 participants will each be led by an international team leader, and one expert, Honduran birding guide. Teams will bird a rich diversity of tropical habitats through 3 main locations in Honduras. Teams and birding locations will be rotated to maximize enjoyment by everyone. The team recording the greatest number of species will win a $20,000 award to the Honduran/international birding conservation projects of that team’s choice as well as a $1,000 Rockjumper Birding Tours voucher for each team member. Winning teams 2, 3, 4, and 5 will draw from additional prizes benefiting birding and conservation in Honduras (see prizes).
• Tim Appleton (Co-founder and Organizer of the British Birdfair)
• Richard Crossley (Crossley Books, Crossley Wildlife and Birding ID Guide Series)
• Jeff Gordon (President, American Birding Association)
• Adam Riley (Owner, Rockjumper Birding Tours, ORYX Wildlife Tours, ORYX Photo Tours)
• Bill Thompson lll (Editor, Birdwatcher’s Digest Magazine)
• Alex Alvarado (Honduran Birds)
• Jose Santos Calderon (The Lodge at Pico Bonito)
• Elmer Escoto (The Lodge at Pico Bonito)
• Esdras Lopez (Pico Bonito/Freelance Birding Guide)
• William Orellana (Beaks and Peaks)
Nov. 4 to 13, 2016
4 nights Pico Bonito National Park (Lodge at Pico Bonito), 2 nights Cerro Azul National Park/Lake Yojoa (Panacam Lodge), 2 nights Copan (Hotel Marina Copan), 1 night San Pedro (closing dinner and awards).
Closing Ceremony and Awards Dinner:
Final night of November 12, 2016.
- $2,286.00 per person double occupancy.
- $2,673.00 per person single occupancy.
Price includes all guided birding, guide fees, entrance fees, lodging, meals, taxes and gratuities, and in-country transportation.